|NOUN || a Maccabee | Maccabees |
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
Neue Wörterbuch-Abfrage: Einfach jetzt tippen!
weitere Beispiele ...
- was a Jewish rebellion led by the Maccabees against the Seleucid Empire and against Hellenistic influence on Jewish life.
- He was the author of books on I Maccabees and II Maccabees, as well as a book about competing religions in the ancient world.
- The eight-day rededication of the temple is described in 1 Maccabees, though the miracle of the oil does not appear here.
- The Books of the Maccabees or the Sefer HaMakabim (the "Book of the Maccabees") recount the history of the Maccabees, the leaders of the Jewish rebellion against the Seleucid dynasty.
- The Maccabees did not in general hold the territory they fought in during this period, but rather engaged in raids on opposing power centers and retributive attacks on anti-Jewish populations.
- The lyrics commemorate the war of national liberation fought by the Maccabees against the Seleucid Greek empire from 167 to 141 BCE, a war described in the Books of the Maccabees and commemorated by the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.
- Schwartz wrote "2 Maccabees", a scholarly commentary and annotated translation into Hebrew of the book 2 Maccabees (which only survived in Koine Greek).
- 1 Maccabees and 2 Maccabees recount numerous martyrdoms suffered by Jews resisting Hellenization, being executed for such crimes as observing the Sabbath, circumcising their children or refusing to eat pork or meat sacrificed to foreign gods.
- "6 Maccabees", or the "Sixth Book of Maccabees", [...] is an anonymous Classical Syriac narrative poem about the martyrdom of Eleazar and the woman with seven sons under Antiochus IV as described in the prose Greek works "2 Maccabees" and "4 Maccabees".
© dict.cc English-German dictionary 2023
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (nur Englisch/Deutsch).
Links auf das Wörterbuch oder auch auf einzelne Übersetzungen sind immer herzlich willkommen!