|NOUN || an abatis | abatis / abatises |
|SYNO ||abatis | abattis|
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- It was a trapezoidal earthwork with a perimeter of 190 yards, and places for 13 guns. There were also supporting rifle pits, and abatis in the Rock Creek streambed.
- The French assault began at the same time, but they were halted by the abatis, which was undamaged by the artillery fire.
- Edwards's men found that a moat guarded a three-gun battery past the abatis, but soldiers from the 5th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment and 37th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment scaled the earthworks.
- During the battle, they were also a vanguard for a regiment commanded by Alexander Hamilton, clearing the field of sharpened logs called abatis so that Hamilton's regiment could capture Redoubt #10.
- He completely redesigned the complex: two redoubts, an abatis to the left and right, the road, which was additionally guarded by a gate, leading through the works between the two redoubts.
- The earliest reference to abatis fortifications appears to be in a Novgorod chronicle of 1137-1139.
- Other defensive works such as "schanzen", abatis, ramparts and ditches were often built in the vicinity as additional protection against an enemy.
- The bulwark consisted of a roughly 40-metre-wide "Verhack", an abatis of branches and logs that was followed by a roughly 2.5-metre-deep ditch.
- Abatis are rarely seen nowadays, having been largely replaced by wire obstacles.
- Just as modern military engineers enhance field fortifications with obstacles such as barbed wire, medieval engineers used a number of obstacle types including abatis, caltrops, cheval de frise, and trou de loup.
- The formidable defense included several batteries partially connected by trenches, log and earth redoubts around the main fort, and a double abatis. It was called "Little Gibraltar".
© dict.cc English-Greek dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!