|NOUN || Voortrekker | Voortrekkers |
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
Neue Wörterbuch-Abfrage: Einfach jetzt tippen!
weitere Beispiele ...
- The Afrikaans name for this species "spekvreter" means "fat-eater", and comes from the fact that it developed the habit of feeding on the lard used to grease wagon axles by the voortrekkers.
- Emigrant Boers ('voortrekkers') from the Cape Colony established an independent state in 1839, on territory conquered from the Zulus.
- The greatest concentration of voortrekkers could be found near the Mooirivier, where Potchefstroom stands today.
- They were bred and developed to better suit this purpose, and were prized by the voortrekkers.
- In 1880 South Africa, young Betsy has an adventure involving Zulu tribesmen, Dutch settlers, the Voortrekkers, and her older brother's romance of Katie Snee.
- The Battle of Vegkop was fought between the Matebele of Mzilikazi and the Voortrekkers of Hendrik Potgieter just outside the town of Heilbron.
- As the Voortrekkers progressed further inland, they continued to establish Boer colonies on the interior of South Africa.
- After returning to BaPo lands Mogale was crowned Kgosi but had to remain in hiding in the Magaliesberg Mountains for some time until Mzilikazi was expelled from the Transvaal by the Voortrekkers in the 1830s.
- The Piet Retief Delegation massacre was the 1838 killing of 100 Voortrekkers by the Zulu king Dingane in what is now KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- By the late 19th century, both the Trekboers and the Voortrekkers were collectively called Boers.
- "De Voortrekkers" is a 1916 silent film recognized as the first epic in South Africa's motion-picture history and also that nation's oldest surviving feature film.
- Tregardt and Van Rensburg were the first of the voortrekkers to pass near Thaba Nchu, where the Barolong tribe of chief Moroka II was resident.
- Williams, into the interior of South Africa to administer to the spiritual needs of the voortrekkers with his father-in-law and brother-in-law.
- The Voortrekkers established the Republic of Natalia in 1839, with its capital at Pietermaritzburg.
- The Piet Retief Delegation massacre and the Weenen massacre were the motivation for the Voortrekkers to confront the Zulus in battle on 16 December 1838 when 470 Voortrekkers fought against an estimated 15,000 to 21,000 Zulus; which the Voortrekkers won.
- Dingane responded by attacking the Voortrekkers; on 16 December 1838 the battle of Ncome River (later named the Battle of Blood River) occurred, during which 300 Voortrekkers survived and won a decisive battle against thousands of Dingane's impis.
- Pretoria was founded in 1855 by Marthinus Pretorius, a leader of the Voortrekkers, who named it after his father Andries Pretorius and chose a spot on the banks of the "Apies rivier" (Afrikaans for "Monkeys river") to be the new capital of the South African Republic ([...]; ZAR).
© dict.cc English-German dictionary 2023
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (nur Englisch/Deutsch).
Links auf das Wörterbuch oder auch auf einzelne Übersetzungen sind immer herzlich willkommen!