|SYNO ||to weigh anchor | to weigh the anchor|
Neue Wörterbuch-Abfrage: Einfach jetzt tippen!
weitere Beispiele ...
- Weigh anchor is a nautical term indicating the final preparation of a sea vessel for getting underway.
- Not expecting such a daring offensive from the numerically inferior Ottoman fleet, it took Doria three hours to give the order to weigh anchor and ready for battle—pressed by Grimani and Capello.
- Unfortunately, the "Cadboro" was unable to weigh anchor close enough to shore to safely unload cargo at the site McMillan had preferred to establish the Fort.
- This is linked to the term "to weigh anchor", meaning to lift the anchor from the sea bed, allowing the ship or boat to move.
- Sailors on board three ships from the Third Navy Squadron refused to weigh anchor.
- The convoy was ordered to weigh anchor and proceed to sea.
- On the night of January 10 Captain Bremer had sounded the harbour and concluded that it was excellent and the squadron would move in and weigh anchor in the bay of Berbera the following morning.
- The corsair ordered his ships to weigh anchor and move towards the port.
- To "weigh anchor" is to bring all anchor(s) aboard the vessel in preparation for departure.
© dict.cc English-German dictionary 2023
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (nur Englisch/Deutsch).
Links auf das Wörterbuch oder auch auf einzelne Übersetzungen sind immer herzlich willkommen!