Neue Wörterbuch-Abfrage: Einfach jetzt tippen!
weitere Beispiele ...
- The beta radiation released damages both normal thyroid tissue and any thyroid cancer that behaves like normal thyroid in taking up iodine, so providing the therapeutic effect, whilst most of the gamma radiation escapes the patient's body.
- In his studies of the thyroid, he discovered that there was much more iodine in thyroid tissue than in the parathyroid, and noticed that when the thyroid is removed, a disturbance of iodine metabolism occurs.
- Functional thyroid tissue producing an excess of thyroid hormone occurs in a number of clinical conditions.
- As a result of this active transport, iodide concentration inside follicular cells of thyroid tissue is 20 to 50 times higher than in the plasma.
- In the preceding decades Kocher had perfected the removal of excess thyroid tissue in cases of goiter to an extent that he was able to remove the whole organ without the person dying from the operation.
- Growth pattern: solid - acinar cells, microcytic - small cystic spaces mucinous or eosinophilic, papillary-cystic - large cystic lined by epithelium, follicular - similar to thyroid tissue.
- Radioactive iodine-131 is used in patients with papillary or follicular thyroid cancer for ablation of residual thyroid tissue after surgery and for the treatment of thyroid cancer.
- This triggers the pituitary to release thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), which then promotes the growth of thyroid tissue, eventually leading to goiter.
- Fine-needle aspiration is essential in order to obtain a sample of the thyroid tissue to allow for microscopic examination.
- The 131I is taken up into thyroid tissue and concentrated there.
- The link was further confirmed in the late 19th century when people and animals who had had their thyroid removed showed improvement in symptoms with transplantation of animal thyroid tissue.
- To localize this label more precisely within the thyroid tissue, Leblond attempted to use the novel technique of autoradiography.
- Major uses of 131I include the treatment of thyrotoxicosis (hyperthyroidism) due to Graves' disease, and sometimes hyperactive thyroid nodules (abnormally active thyroid tissue that is not malignant).
- A struma ovarii (literally: goitre of the ovary) is a rare form of monodermal teratoma that contains mostly thyroid tissue, which may cause hyperthyroidism.
- To detect metastases/function of thyroid, the isotopes technetium-99m or iodine-123 are generally used, and for this purpose the iodide isotope does not need to be attached to another protein or molecule, because thyroid tissue takes up free iodide actively.
- Thyroglossal cysts are associated with an increased incidence of ectopic thyroid tissue.
© dict.cc English-German dictionary 2023
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (nur Englisch/Deutsch).
Links auf das Wörterbuch oder auch auf einzelne Übersetzungen sind immer herzlich willkommen!