|NOUN || a spinster | spinsters |
|SYNO ||old maid | spinner | spinster | ...|
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- The closing scene shows Tula waving goodbye to the ménage as the train departs, resigned to her spinster status.
- Aunt Becka - Carrie's paternal aunt, a spinster.
- The urban myth that Brandy was based on Mary Ellis (1750–1828), a spinster in New Brunswick, New Jersey, has been refuted by Lurie himself.
- This book introduces Susan Baker, the elderly spinster who is the Blythes' maid-of-all-work.
- Tinker described herself as a "spinster".
- Another stereotype of the spinster that has appeared in literature is the quick-witted and sometimes quick-tempered independent woman, who has remained unmarried by choice, as in "Spinster Thurber's Carpet" (1897), Pauline Phelps's popular short story and play about an unmarried woman who decides during the Revolutionary War that she'd rather have a carpet than a husband.
- Wyllarde died a spinster on 10 May 1950, leaving effects worth just over £49443.
- Miss Climpson appears in print two years before Agatha Christie’s famed spinster detective Miss Marple, leading some scholars to see Sayers’ character as an inspiration.
- A mama's boy falls for a spinster who works at a nursery in a department store.
- He died unmarried at Carlisle Street, London, leaving all his estate to "Elizabeth Watton, spinster", his maid and housekeeper.
- Hi Jenkins is a cranky farmer who is disliked by the whole village, including the spinster whom Jenkins wants to marry.
- An elderly spinster who works as a cashier for an insurance company plots to rob her employers by concocting the perfect crime.
- The name is of patronymic origins derived from personal name "Kalemba" (locally also denoting "a fat, lazy spinster").
- Amy Mary Dalby (3 January 1888 – 10 March 1969) was an English actress of stage and screen, often in kindly or eccentric spinster roles.
- An old maid is a spinster.
© dict.cc Hungarian-English dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!