|NOUN || a poinsettia | poinsettias |
|SYNO ||Christmas flower | Christmas star | Euphorbia pulcherrima | ...|
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- In 1851, Joel Roberts Poinsett, physician, American statesman and botanist (for whom the poinsettia is named), died while visiting Dr. Anderson. He was buried in the churchyard across the road.
- "Colletotrichum capsici" is a species of fungus and plant pathogen which causes leaf blight on "Chlorophytum borivilianum", basil, chickpea and pepper as well as dieback in pigeonpea and anthracnose in poinsettia.
- "Sphaceloma poinsettiae" is a fungal plant pathogen. It causes poinsettia scab, which is a spot anthracnose disease.
- "Pseudomonas marginalis" is a soil bacterium that can cause soft rots of plant tissues. It infects poinsettia, lettuce, and crucifers (canola, mustard).
- This article is a list of diseases of poinsettia ("Euphorbia pulcherrima").
- The lake is named for Joel Roberts Poinsett, a diplomat who brought the poinsettia to the United States.
- The ancient Aztecs (ruling tribe in central Mexico at the time of contact with Europe) prized the poinsettia as a symbol of purity.
- Hundreds of millions of plants are propagated via cuttings annually including chrysanthemum, poinsettia, carnation, ornamental shrubs and many houseplants.
- Soon after William was last seen, his sister, Jill Jones returned home without William and had a plastic potted poinsettia in her hand.
- Located in Encinitas, California, with production facilities in Guatemala, Ecke has grown to become the world's largest poinsettia ("christmas star") producer with 50% market share.
- Examples of this type of bract include those of "Euphorbia pulcherrima" (poinsettia) and "Bougainvillea": both of these have large colourful bracts surrounding much smaller, less colourful flowers.
- A poinsettia cocktail is a mixture of champagne, Cointreau (or Triple Sec), and cranberry juice. It is named after the poinsettia flower, commonly associated with Christmas.
© dict.cc Russian-English dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!