|NOUN || a lunar map | lunar maps |
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- Mare Tranquillitatis was named in 1651 by astronomers Francesco Grimaldi and Giovanni Battista Riccioli in their lunar map "Almagestum novum".
- Puteanus provided advice about naming features on the first telescopic lunar map produced by his friend Michael van Langren (1598-1675).
- This means that what is seen in the eyepiece is the same as what is seen when looking at the sky, or a star chart or lunar map.
- Gaudibert produced a map of the Moon in 1887. Under the direction of Camille Flammarion, Emile Bertaux subsequently produced a globe of the moon based on Gaudibert's lunar map.
- In 1821 he made observations of the Moon, enabling him to produce a "Mondkärtchen" (lunar map).
- This name appeared on the lunar map due to Johannes Hevelius, who used to name lunar features after terrestrial ones.
- Mädler's motive for this change was the fact that his lunar map did not name albedo features, forcing him to transfer Galileo's name to an insignificant nearby crater.
- Flemish astronomer Michael van Langren was the first person to draw a lunar map while giving names to many of the features, in 1645.
- Thomas Gwyn Empy Elger FRAS (27 October 1836 – 9 January 1897) was a British selenographer and one of the preeminent lunar observers of the Victorian age, best known for his lunar map, which was regarded as one of the best available until the 1960s.
- The land form is depicted as the face of a woman looking across Sinus Iridum in a 1679 lunar map by Giovanni Domenico Cassini; this depiction, of disputed origin, is known as the "Moon Maiden".
© dict.cc Russian-English dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!