|NOUN || a beaver | beavers / beaver |
|VERB || to beaver [away] | beavered | beavered|
beavering | beavers
|SYNO ||beaver | Beaver | beaver fur | ...|
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
VERB to infinitive | simple past | past participle
present participle | 3rd person
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- In 2021 the mayor of Grenville renewed calls for a beaver cull after nearly 200 beaver dams caused extensive flooding.
- The North American beaver ("Castor canadensis") is one of two extant beaver species, along with the Eurasian beaver ("Castor fiber").
- North American beaver ("Castor canadensis") were almost completely exterminated from the area now known as West Virginia by 1825 due to trapping by early settlers (Swank 1948).
- They were probably originally made of felt (known as beaver, but not necessarily made of beaver fur), but most surviving examples are of silk plush (also sometimes known as beaver) on a stiffened buckram base.
- The beaver may have accessed San Mateo Creek from the Santa Margarita River watershed where golden beaver were re-introduced around 1940.
- Evidence of felted beaver hats in western Europe can be found in Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales", written in the late 14th century: "A Merchant was there with a forked beard / In motley, and high on his horse he sat, / Upon his head a Flandrish [...] beaver hat."
- Beavers had not lived in New York City since the early 19th century, when trappers extirpated them completely from the state.
© dict.cc Slovak-English dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!