|NOUN || a whipping | whippings |
|VERB || to whip | whipped | whipped|
whipping | whips
|SYNO ||beating | debacle | drubbing | ...|
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
VERB to infinitive | simple past | past participle
present participle | 3rd person
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- The common whipping is the simplest type of whipping knot, a series of knots intended to stop a rope from unravelling.
- It is also known as Blanford's whipping frog, large treefrog, and Denny's whipping frog.
- It is also known as the Bengal whipping frog, Bengal whipping tree frog, and Terai tree frog.
- During whipping, partially coalesced fat molecules create a stabilized network which traps air bubbles.
- To imitate Hungarian-style cooking and the use of smetana (called "tejföl" in Hungarian), Hungarian cookbooks recommend using Western sour cream mixed with heavy whipping cream (38–40% milkfat).
- The West Country whipping is a quick practical whipping knot, a method of using twine to secure the end of a rope to prevent it fraying.
- Marshmallows consist of four ingredients: sugar, water, air, and a whipping agent/aerator (usually a protein).
- Container ships are also known to experience significant whipping (transient) vibrations from bow impacts.
- The knot is attractive to the eye and so is used decoratively for French whipping which is also known as "half hitch whipping".
- Andrzej Brencz notes: “Probably the custom of Easter whipping and the other custom of whipping people with twigs on Good Friday are connected to old, ritualized magical rites, which were supposed to transfer the strength of the green twigs to the person being hit with them”.
- "The Execution of the Punishment of Whipping Ordinance of 1979" was developed to regulate the punishment of whipping/flogging.
- A whipping knot is a means of holding the cut end of a rope together to prevent fraying and ensure ease of use.
- In 1854, all forms of JCP were abolished in the Netherlands with the exception of whipping. Whipping was later abolished in 1870.
- Punishment by whipping-post remained on the books in Delaware until 1972, when it became the last state to abolish it.
- A whipping knot or whipping is a binding of [...] twine or whipcord around the end of a rope to prevent its natural tendency to fray.
© dict.cc Italian-English dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!