|NOUN1 || a tyranny | tyrannies |
|NOUN2 || tyranny | - |
|SYNO ||absolutism | despotism | tyranny|
NOUN article.ind sg | pl
To translate another word just start typing!
Usage Examples English
See more ...
- The stories mainly focus on tyranny and freedom.
- 581 BC: Periander's nephew and successor was assassinated, ending the tyranny.
- Mill defined "social liberty" as protection from "the tyranny of political rulers".
- Aeaces was deprived of his tyranny by Aristagoras, when the Ionians revolted against Persian rule in 500 BC.
- cut off and nailed to the rostrum of the Senate to remind everyone of the perils of speaking out against tyranny."
- Tocqueville explained that the principle of equality is partly responsible for this phenomenon because it has disposed men to endure such kind of tyranny and made them look on it and its features as benefits.
- Tyranny is another key theme. Cary uses a Chorus and a set of secondary characters to provide a multi-vocal portrayal of Herod's court and Jewish society under his tyranny.
- In 2017, he published "On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century", a short book about how to prevent a democracy from becoming a tyranny, with a focus on modern United States politics and on what he called "America's turn towards authoritarianism".
- Fictional resistance movements and groups commonly appear in dystopian fiction, opposing tyranny.
- Nicola's proposal, while never fully formed, would not be suggesting tyranny (he rejected how others equated monarchy and tyranny) but instead a constitutional monarchy.
- The Movement Against Tyranny, or MAT, is a Philippine movement that seeks to protest alleged acts of tyranny by the administration of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.
- To Moreton Bay I've found no equal: excessive tyranny there each day prevails.
- The League asked, "We have repudiated "religious" tyranny; we have rejected "political" tyranny; shall we now submit to "medical" tyranny?
© dict.cc Dutch-English dictionary 2023
Contains translations by TU Chemnitz and Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (German-English only).
Links to this dictionary or to individual translations are very welcome!